tours and excursions
The Eemlandhoeve offers tours and excursions on the grounds to all sorts of visitors (meeting attendees, students, school children, scholars, day-trippers, families, rest-seekers...). These are mostly led by farmer-philosopher Jan Huijgen and farmer Maaike Huijgen, however, other employees of the Eemlandhoeve sometimes lead the tours.
Tours covering various aspects of the farm include:
- The Ecological Eemlandhoeve: Maaike Huijgen tells the story of the farm- the beginning, activities, people, and ecological grounds management all come to light.
- Jan Huijgen's Dream Come True: the Eemlandhoeve as a Multifunctional Farm: the ins and outs of the business philosophy behind the Eemlandhoeve are shared during a tour of the grounds including both the buildings and the beautiful Eemland itself.
- The Biggest and the Broadest Farmers in Eemland: visits to Eemland Dairy (a neighbour with the largest dairy farm in Eemland) and the Eemlandhoeve (the multifunctional farm with the broadest spectrum in Eemland); a discussion of the differences between these two business types and their strategies.
- Readable Landscape: a tour starting at the Landscape House with the National Landscape ambassadors. How can one read the story of a landscape from the primeval ages and the large scale development of the 12th and 13th centuries, and what connections can be found in the landscape? The ambassadors are real experts of the region and know how to tell a fascinating story.
- Regional Cultural History: a tour starting at the Landscape House with the National Landscape ambassadors. Visiting the most important cultural-historical elements in the Eemland by bike or by car (Palendike, Spakenburg Harbour, corn-mill of Bunschoten, Waaien (deep ponds created by former dike-breaks) on the Eemdike, the old location of the castle House of Eem, Coelhorst chapel, the malen of Hoogland, etc.).